PRESS RELEASE: Pat Moore
Published: 15 July 2019
The Mayor, Cllr Nicholas Busvine OBE, and Sevenoaks Town Council were very saddened to hear about the death of Pat Moore.
They have had a close relationship with Pat for many years working together on the annual Remembrance Day and other WW1 commemorative events. Pat has been a wonderful ambassador for his generation and for Sevenoaks.
The Mayor, Cllr Busvine said this morning “I have just learnt that Pat died last night. May I pay tribute to him not only as a war hero, but as a pillar of our local community who devoted himself to charitable causes after the war. I am so glad that he was able to celebrate the D-Day 75th anniversary last month. His work to build community ties with friends in Normandy was recognised during the visit when a local school in Graye-sur-Mer was named after him.
Linda Larter MBE
Chief Executive / Town Clerk
15th July 2019
Mr Pat Moore has served the local communities of Sevenoaks and Graye-Sur-Mer for over 50 years. Throughout this time, he has exemplified the motto of the Royal Engineers Association “Service Not Self” and has acted as a true ambassador of the Royal Engineers and British Army with the residents of Normandy.
Pat is a unique example of service to all organisation to which he has volunteered his services over the last 50 years. His total commitment to the service of others has earned the respect of his peers and enhanced the UK’s reputation in Normandy.
record of voluntary service to the local community:
1. 50 YEARS TO SEVENOAKS MENCAP
2. 50 YEARS TO SEVENOAKS TOWN COUNCIL
3. 50 YEARS TO SEVENOAKS BRANCH OF ROYAL BRITISH LEGION
4. 64 YEARS TO 85 FD COY RE (OCA) and Residents of Normandy
5. 44 YEARS TO TUNBRIGE WELLS BRANCH OF THE REA
SERVICES TO SEVENOAKS TOWN COUNCIL
Pat Moore joined the Royal British Legion (RBL) in 1946 and became a member of Sevenoaks branch in 1966. Pat has been a key personality to the arrangements of the annual Sevenoaks Town Services of Remembrance. Over the past 50 years he has been a member of the organising committee and acted as the voluntary Wreath Marshal for over 20 years between 1990-2014. Since 2014 Pat has taken the salute at the annual Remembrance service march past after reading the Exhortation and Kohima prayer. Mr Moore was elected Life President of the of the RBL Sevenoaks Branch in 2018. Pat remains a respected member of the local Sevenoaks volunteer community.
1. As a professional sculptor Pat, was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1957, and taught sculpture to the Sevenoaks U3A for over 20 years.
2. Pat recently modelled and installed a remembrance plaque at Borough Green War memorial.
3. Pat had recently been commissioned to model a new memorial piece by Sevenoaks Town Council to be installed at the Bat and Ball Station.
4. Pat visited local schools to give talks on WW2 and he donated any fees offered to local charities.