The Town Council has recently resolved to formally recognise the Government and KCC declarations for aiming for Zero Carbon and to integrate this within the vision and throughout the emerging Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) and within the Town Council’s general operation.
The Town Council will start work on creation of an Action Plan to review:
• Reducing cars / traffic particularly in relation to school traffic.
• STC new buildings to be as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible. Existing buildings to be improved to be more sustainable with reduced carbon footprint where practicable.
• Include planting of more trees, where possible fruit and nut trees
• Continue to promote Refill Scheme and Sevenoaks Plastic Free Pledge
• Cycle racks / planters to be installed
• Install drinking fountains where possible at STC sites
• Increased safety for pedestrians and cyclists
• NDP Transport Strategy recommendations including 20 mph, one-way system in town centre and shared space.
• Link STC open spaces together with ‘green routes’
• Encourage increased use of public transport – buses and trains by having improved facilities including live running information.
• Install electric car charging points at STC sites
Consider enabling community initiatives for sustainable living e.g. Toy Library, Zero Waste Shop, Community Orchards, Community Cycle Workshops, Repair Café, promotion of alternative resources e.g. nappies.
If members of the public are interested in participating in discussions to develop the local Action Plan to address Climate Change and Carbon Neutral initiatives they are asked to contact the council via email@example.com
Linda Larter MBE
Chief Executive / Town Clerk
3rd December 2019